Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Lipstick on a Pig

I agree with Barack Obama that candidates should focus on big issues rather than "innocent" remarks like "You can put lipstick on a pig, and it is still a pig." Personally, I don't like it when candidates in general accuse their critics of racism and sexism.

But is this the guy who should be claiming the moral high ground? How often has he (or his supporters) expressed phony outrage over "innocent" remarks? Where did Geraldine Ferraro go a few months ago? And didn't Obama say that his opponents will make an issue of him not looking like other Presidents on the dollar bills? Sounds to me like he's accusing his enemies of racism. And Bill Clinton said not long ago that Obama loves to play the race card, anyway!

Come to think of it, a lot of liberals love to play the race and the gender card, especially when it concerns statements that politicians and conservative celebrities happen to make. Just ask George Allen, Rush Limbaugh, and Pat Buchanan!

I like something my friend Felix said under my post, "'Natural' in Romans 1:26-27". He was specifically talking about political correctness in the homosexuality debate, but it can be applied to other debates as well:

The politically-correct are "actually not interested in mutual respect between two parties but instead their agenda is for all opposing parties just to shut up and submit based on emotional manipulation. This is no different from radical Islam (with exception of violence as a method of coercion, of course)."

And that's the game a lot of liberals play! You either see things exactly as they do, or you're a racist or a sexist in their eyes. I think that the level of political discourse should be higher for both Republicans and Democrats, but I get a sense of glee when the Left's tactics are thrown right back in their face. Now they get to experience what they've made others feel.

And why's Obama getting on his moral high horse about sticking to the issues? He's the one who compared Palin to a pig! That sounds like picking a schoolyard fight more than generating a rational political debate.

(See update below).

Personally, I don't think that one party is more righteous than another, since both sides have their problems and inconsistencies. But it would be nice if a lot of liberals just got off their freaking high horse!

To my family members: No, I'm not especially angry today, so this is not one of my depressant posts. I'm just speaking my mind on the issues.

And, yes, I think there are times when accusing people of racism or sexism is entirely appropriate. But the Left makes it a sport for political gain! Or, in the case of certain African-American leaders (e.g., Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson), political and financial gain.
-----------------------------------
Update: As many of you know, the Obama camp says that Barack was using an old cliche, one that Dick Cheney and John McCain have also used (which is documented). That's possible, which is why I'm including this disclaimer. But a Democrat also introduced Joe Biden by saying that Palin is "someone with zero experience in national government, zero experience in foreign affairs. There’s no way you can dress up that record, even with a lot of lipstick" (see here). Should we interpret what Obama said in light of the words of another Democrat? It's not full-proof, but it's something to throw out there for consideration. Palin has obviously popularized "lipstick."

Also, I can't find the full text of what Obama said in that speech.

But I'm keeping this post up, since I think I raise some valid points. I think that the Left has made a sport out of looking for racism or sexism in all sorts of places--where they may not even exist. I'm happy when that happens to someone like Obama, who has done his share of playing the race card. But should we focus on more important issues? I think so.

Search This Blog