Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Case in Point...

As I was saying, people don't always act the way I want them to.

Case in point: the current election. I had hopes for all of the candidates. Believe it or not, there have been times when I've actually liked Barack Obama. He seems like someone who wants to put aside partisanship and bring this country together. Then, he attacks John McCain with the usual liberal Democratic drivel.

I thought John McCain was above all the partisan rancor. When a speaker in Cincinnati made fun of Obama's middle name ("Hussein"), McCain said he didn't want anything to do with that kind of politics. But attack-dog politics have served Republicans in the past, so why not now? I like his attacks on Obama, but wouldn't it be nice to have a real statesman, not a politician?

I've been disappointed with Sarah Palin. I was so excited when I first read about her. She seemed like someone who would kick you-know-what and name names. (Is that how the cliche goes?) After all, she fought the powers-that-be in her own state, and she gave an awesome speech at the Republican National Convention. Now, she's afraid to take on the liberal media. That's not what I expected from Sarah Barracuda! She even had to have John McCain chaperone her at last night's interview with Katie Couric.

Things don't always turn out as I emplot them.

I was talking with this one lady today, and she said that God will put in office the person who needs to be there. To be honest, I've thought a little about what it would've been like to have Al Gore or John Kerry in the Oval Office. Would we have all these hurricanes--one after the other? Al Gore would have tried to do something about global warming, assuming the cooperation of the Republican Congress.

Would we have picked up speed on alternative energy? Probably. That was one of Al Gore's babies!

I reckon that Al Gore would have gotten us into Iraq, since the Clinton Administration also viewed Saddam Hussein as a problem. But would John Kerry have fought the war any differently? Of course, we're winning right now because of the surge, but that's only after our President tried some failed strategies.

Would the financial crisis exist under Gore or Kerry? I don't know. Bush supposedly warned about Fannie and Freddie in 2001 (see here). But Democrats have received money from these institutions. Bill Clinton tried to give homes to the poor, as well as signed Phil Gramm's deregulation bill, both of which contributed to the problem (possibly). So I'm not sure if things would have turned out differently under a Democratic Administration.

I also wonder if Rush Limbaugh would have criticized a President Gore or President Kerry for doing many of the same things that Bush has done. But knowing that would require me to be in a parallel universe, which isn't possible.

So I'm not sure if God backs up the current state of affairs. Maybe it's better than the alternative. I don't know.

Search This Blog