Friday, February 14, 2014

Latest on The Unbreakable Promise

My church did not meet for Bible study last night on account of the snow.  We may not finish the series that we have been going through: The Unbreakable Promise: God’s Covenants with Abraham, Moses, and David, with Michael Rydelnik.  My pastor and his wife will be away the next couple of weeks (after this coming Sunday), so the group will not be meeting the next two Thursdays.  And the pastor wants to begin a new series for Bible study right after he gets back: he’s thinking of The 24 Hours That Changed the World.  He wants a series in March-April that is appropriate for Lent and Easter, and that is one option he’s considering.

My pastor said that he could lend out the Unbreakable Promise DVDs to anyone who wants to see the last lesson, the one that we most likely won’t cover.  I may take him up on that.  I would like to watch that last lesson and blog about it, as I have done for the previous five lessons.  The Unbreakable Promise is probably my favorite Bible study series that my church has done.  I don’t always agree with Michael Rydelnik, but he does mention possibilities that I have never considered before, and just wrestling with those possibilities is rewarding in itself.  I have a book of his that I will be reviewing soon: The Messianic Hope: Is the Hebrew Bible Really Messianic?  There, Rydelnik challenges an interpretative approach that exists even among many evangelical scholars, one that interprets certain passages in the Hebrew Bible as unrelated to the coming Messiah, when traditional Christianity has largely regarded those passages as Messianic.  I tend to side with the perspective that Rydelnik critiques, as I sympathize with historical-criticism and the more literalistic schools of ancient Christianity and Judaism.  But I will be interested to see how Rydelnik goes about making his arguments.

Search This Blog