Sunday, September 2, 2012

Quote of the Day

This morning on ABC This Week, Democratic strategist Donna Brazile said the following about attempts to find racism in Republican rhetoric, in response to conservative George Will's statement that "the guys over at MSNBC have said that when Republicans talk about Chicago, it's a subtext for racism" (see here for the transcript):

"George, you know, let me just tell you, as the first African-American woman to manage a presidential campaign, I will never forget the conversation I had with my dad. I thought he would be excited. I'm the first black woman.  My dad said, Donna, it's just a job, it's just a job. So, I mean, look, racism is a subtext, context of every campaign in modern history and past history. And so whether it's the use of the word 'y'all' to 'Chicago,' I don't get drawn into those conversations.  I heard about a camerawoman at a network I also work for, getting pelted with peanuts at the convention, I don't get drawn into that. Because I understand when you put this conversation on the table we cannot have a substantive conversation about welfare reform, about social policy, because we want to get drawn into that conversation.  Look, we need to have a forward-looking conversation about what it takes to grow our economy in the 21st Century for all Americans."

Search This Blog