Monday, December 9, 2013

The Final Days 2

On page 73 of The Final Days, by Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein, we read the following about Judge Sirica:

“Sirica entered.  He didn’t like dramatic courtroom confrontations, and he expected one this afternoon.  His nerves were getting to him.”

On the next page, we read: “Sirica retired to his chambers.  As he often did after a tense hearing, he lay down to wait for the pounding of his heart to slow.”

Do I like drama?  Well, I like watching it on TV, or reading about it.  And, when I was a child and a teenager, I liked to generate drama by being controversial.  My fifth grade class had class elections, and I ran and assisted a few campaigns.  I enjoyed starting debates in class.  I found life to be rather humdrum and boring, and this was my way of trying to make it interesting.

As an adult, while I like to follow fictional drama, or drama that involves other people, I am not as keen about being in the middle of drama.  I like for things to run smoothly and rather predictably, when I am involved.

Search This Blog