Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The Final Days 11

On page 344 of The Final Days, by Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein, we read:

"As was his custom, the President had not called for anyone to come.  When he wished company, he simply made himself available."

I'm somewhat like this.  I usually don't call people, asking them if they want to get together with me.  But I have done so in the past.  People are busy, and so, if I don't call them asking them if they want to get together to socialize, the socialization probably won't happen.  But people have called me sometimes, asking me if I want to hang out; in those cases, I either say yes, or I try to find some excuse to say no (since I'm not in the mood to socialize).  I guess that my point here is something that many point out: that, for a number of people, initiating and preserving relationships takes a conscious decision, and effort.

In the past, I have simply made myself available to people when I wanted company.  Sometimes, that works out.  If people are watching TV in a room, for example, it's not overly awkward for me to walk in and to join them.  But, at times, I have made myself available to people when it wasn't a particularly convenient time for them.  So live and learn!

Search This Blog