Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentine's Day 2009

For this year's Valentine's Day, I want to post two quotes from the movie Spiderman (see here). In the first one, Peter tells his life-long crush, Mary Jane Watson, how he feels about her. In the second one, Mary Jane realizes that she actually loves Peter.

Peter: I said...I said, Spider-Man, I said the great thing about M.J. is when...when you look in her eyes and she's looking back in yours and smiling, well, everything feels...not quite normal because you feel... stronger. And weaker at the same time and you feel excited and at the same time terrified. The truth is, Spidey, I call him Spidey sometimes, the truth is you don't know what you feel, except you know the kind of man you want to be and what it is, is, it's as if when you're with her, it's as if you've reached...the unreachable...and you weren't ready for it.

Mary Jane: Sometimes what you want... you have to go to the edge of your life to find out it was right next door. I've been so stupid for so long. There's only one man who was ever there for me, who has always been there for me...who makes me believe that I'm...more than I ever thought I was. That I'm just...me, and it's okay...The truth is...I love you. I really love you Peter.

I like the first quote because it expresses how I've often felt when I've had serious crushes: stronger yet weaker, bold yet nervous, eager yet seeing the object of my affections as somehow unattainable, making me wonder if I'm truly ready.

I like the second quote because it expresses one thing that I seek in a relationship: acceptance--being loved for just being me. That's not to say that relationships don't require work, since the relationship between Peter and Mary Jane took a LOT of effort both sides in the next two movies. But it's good to have love as a foundation in a relationship.

Search This Blog