Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Falsani Series

On and off for the next week or so, I will comment on my favorite quotes from a book that I just read: Cathleen Falsani's Sin Boldly: A Field Guide for Grace (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2008).

Falsani is an award-winning religion writer for the Chicago Sun-Times. She went to Wheaton College, and she's an evangelical, though she appears to be rather liberal on political issues. She calls herself a "freelance Christian," which somewhat resonates with me, a "sort-of" evangelical (loosely speaking) who has major, big-time problems with organized religion. And her book has endorsements from Lee Strobel, Jim Wallis, Tony Campolo, and Brian McLaren. But not only do evangelical celebrities like it. So does Rabbi Irwin Kula, president of the National Jewish Center for Learning and Leadership.

The book has plenty of good quotes that can help a lot of people, but I don't want to focus here on a lot of people. I want to comment on what's important to me! Consequently, I only plan to comment on the quotes that I found especially meaningful--to me personally. There are six quotes that particularly stand out to me. I'll divide them according to the following titles: (1.) Elvis, (2.) just love people, (3.) holding the Torah like it's a baby, (4.) God got me through, but the scars are still there, (5.) goodness, and (6.) God speaks.

I'll start with "Elvis" sometime this week. Stay tuned!

Search This Blog