Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Best Demonstration of the Spirit

Peter Kirk has a post on Gentle Wisdom entitled, Let’s support Todd and Shonnah Bentley at this difficult time. It says that Todd Bentley of the Lakeland Revival has separated from his wife, Shonnah. Peter doesn't want negative comments under that post because he wants it to be a place for compassion to Todd and Shonnah. I wrote a comment there that could be construed as negative, so it may get deleted. While I believe we should show compassion to Todd and Shonnah, I think my point has merit, so I'm putting it here.

Here it is:

"I know I’ll probably be criticized as judgmental, and I’m not sure how I’d do in a marriage, since I have my own difficulties with people. But isn’t marriage where the Holy Spirit really counts? That’s where spiritual power is truly needed, where both parties need to produce the fruit of the Spirit (e.g., love, joy, peace). The most important manifestations of the Spirit are not barking like a dog or someone professing to be 'anointed' just because he gave an enthusiastic sermon. I’m not going to say that the Holy Spirit can’t work in these ways, since he’s done unusual stuff before. But sticking with marriage through good and bad is where you really see the Holy Spirit at its best.

"I agree that we should pray for the Bentleys, but I just wanted to get that out. There are various parts of the charismatic movement that major in minors and minor in majors."

Search This Blog