Monday, October 19, 2015

"That's Not Me. I Don't Need That Today."

I subscribe to Richard Rohr’s Daily Meditation.  I liked the following part of today’s meditation:

“For example, in centering prayer, you observe the hurt as it arises in your stream of consciousness, but you don’t jump on this boat and give it energy. Instead, you name it (‘resentment toward my spouse’), then you let go of it, leave it on the boat, and let it float down the river. You say, ‘That’s not me. I don’t need that today. I have no need to feed this resentment. I know who I am without it.’ This is the beginning of emotional sobriety. Many are converted to Christ, but without this emotional conversion their behavioral reactions remain much like everyone else’s. Thus the importance of contemplative prayer.”

Search This Blog