Saturday, August 25, 2012

Barack Obama's Dreams from My Father 9: Forgiveness

In my latest reading of Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance, Barack Obama talks about one of his Kenyan brothers, Roy, who had difficulty forgiving their father because the father always expected him to be the best.  On page 265, Obama says:

"...in [my sister] Auma I had...sensed a willingness to put the past behind her, a capacity to somehow forgive, if not necessarily forget.  Roy's memories of the Old Man seemed more immediate, more taunting; for him the past remained an open sore."

Some people have difficulty forgiving.  In my opinion, what they need is healing.  Unfortunately, my impression is that certain biblical writings give them judgment, instead.  I think of Jesus' statement that those who do not forgive others will not be forgiven by God.  Wow, that sure encourages healing, doesn't it?

Search This Blog