Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter 2011

I just came back from Easter services! Here are some things that stood out to me:

1. One of the congregants recited the poem, "What Would You Do If Jesus Came to Your House?" I was impressed that the congregant memorized this poem, but I had issues with its picture of Jesus. The poem appeared to be saying that we'd behave ourselves if Jesus came to our homes. We'd say grace before meals. We wouldn't have the same magazines lying around. If we had friends who were ungodly, we wouldn't introduce them to Jesus---which shows that they probably shouldn't be our friends in the first place. The poem didn't mention cussing, but I suppose that we wouldn't say cuss words in Jesus' presence. And we'd rearrange our priorities were Jesus to come to visit.

What's ironic is that Jesus hung around with rough people. Simon Peter was a fisherman. Jesus also hung around with tax-collectors and prostitutes. And Jesus was a working man. Why should we assume that Jesus would be disappointed were he to come to our homes and see us in rushed conversation about work? There was a period of time when Jesus worked, plus even his life of ministry wasn't always a picnic. So I'm sure that Jesus is well aware of how stressful our lives can be. Would Jesus be judging us, or would he be serving us---and not serving us in a condescending manner of "Look how righteous I am, for I am serving you"---but serving us as part of the team?

The poem said that we'd give Jesus our best room. What makes the author of the poem think that Jesus would even demand the best room? I can see Jesus not wanting us to uproot our lives just to make him feel comfortable.

The poem asked if we'd be glad to see Jesus go. To be honest, if Jesus is anything like this poem implies, the answer is "yes"!

Some people make the same point as the poem when it comes to the TV shows that we watch. "Would you watch Desperate Housewives if Jesus were in the room?", people ask. My question is, "Why not?" I doubt that he'd approve of the behavior of some of the characters, but I can picture him recognizing that the show reflects a search for spirituality. People act as if Jesus was the type who was easily offended, but, again, he hung out with rough people (which is not to say that Jesus loved the not-so-rough people less)! He probably didn't talk dirty, but I don't think that he got bent out of shape when somebody else did so in his presence!

I think that Jesus was someone who encouraged people to do the right thing---by modeling righteousness, and by saying things that had rich value. Unlike some Christians, he probably didn't beat people over the head---unless they really needed that (as did some of the corrupt and oppressive religious leaders of his day).

2. I enjoyed the pastor's sermon. The pastor told a story about a woman who wanted to hear some good news. Overall, the pastor was presenting Easter as a day about new beginnings---a time of new life. An example he gave was that we can choose to forgive. And, somehow, this new beginning is tied into the resurrection of Jesus.

I'm not sure if I see things this way. Like that woman, though, I desire to hear some good news. And I can imagine how happy the disciples were when they learned that Jesus was alive. Something that stood out to me in the liturgy was how Jesus appeared to individuals---such as Peter. I was reading a counter-apologetic piece this week, and it was comparing Jesus' appearance to the 500 that Paul mentions in I Corinthians 15 to Mary appearing to the multitudes: Why should we assume that the former happened, while the latter did not? That's a fair question. But it interests me that, in the Gospel's resurrection stories and I Corinthians 15, Jesus does more than appear to a multitude; rather, he interacts with individuals, just as he did before he died. I don't know how much apologetic value this insight has, and I don't plan to debate it here---so abusive trolls can keep their comments to themselves. But this thought did occur to me this morning as we read I Corinthians 15.

3. A lady in the congregation said that, this past year, she found that she still had the faith that she lost. I appreciated her honesty.

Search This Blog