Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Date of Psalm 82: My Little Search

Psalm 82 is considered by many scholars to be a Psalm that acknowledges the existence of other gods. I was wondering: What is the date of this Psalm? The evolutionary model of Israelite religion that I have heard says that ancient Israel acknowledged the existence of others gods during her pre-exilic period, and became monotheistic in her exilic period (though, even in her pre-exilic period, the Deuteronomistic movement had monotheistic tendencies).

I decided to look at literature that many scholars believe is exilic or post-exilic: Second Isaiah, Ezekiel, I-II Chronicles, Daniel, Judith, etc. I found that these pieces of literature say that other gods are not gods, but mere idols. At the same time, in some places, I see the phrase "god of gods." It appears to me that Psalm 82 is pre-exilic, for it does not reduce the other gods to idols, but regards them as real gods of other nations. But I'm open to correction on this.

Search This Blog