Thursday, July 29, 2010

A Real Testimony

I just got done with a public speaking engagement, in which I gave a personal spiritual testimony, if you will. Let me say that this was the first time in public speaking when I have spoken from my heart. In the past, when I have preached or given a testimony, I felt inauthentic.

And my speech wasn’t all about me, me, me, for I got to talk about what others have taught me. Nor was my speech about how I was a rotten bastard before, and now am absolutely perfect and spiritual. I pointed out areas in which I still need to grow. I told my audience that I was conveying to them where I am now, and that I’ll probably be open to different things down the road, as I’m more open now to things to which I was closed in the past.

As far as the audience’s reaction goes, some people looked bored, then they looked interested, then they looked bored again. One lady was asleep during part of my presentation, then she was laughing at something I was saying the next minute. People shook my hand after my presentation, and they offered me tips on spiritual growth, without coming across as patronizing or condescending.

I was surprised that I spoke for a full hour, for I was expecting to blank out at places, or to really struggle in coming up with things to say. But I had a good time, and my audience was encouraging, for which I am grateful.

Search This Blog