Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Democrats Won

Okay, the Democrats won. It happens! I grew up under a strong Democratic Congress. Here are some reactions:

1. President-elect Obama, please don't raise taxes on anyone. You may be flexible on this, since you said at one point in your campaign that we shouldn't raise taxes in a bad economy.

2. Obama will most likely appoint liberals to the courts. This may be good for certain vulnerable people in society. But it will not be good for the unborn or traditional marriage. Oh well. At least Bush got two Supreme Court appointments in!

3. Governor Palin, go back to Alaska and be an outstanding governor! Also, become a national columnist and a pundit. That will keep you in the national eye, but not enough for people to critique your every move. You'll also gain knowledge on national issues and the ability to articulate it better. Then, you'll be a powerful Presidential candidate in 2012.

4. One good thing about the Democrats being in power: they'll have no one else to blame if they mess things up. The President won't be able to blame the Congress, nor the Congress the President, since both are from the same party. The Republicans will eventually get more power--I just don't know when.

5. On that note, I'm somewhat curious about what will happen under a Democratic President and a Democratic Congress. The last time this happened was under Bill Clinton, but that didn't last too long. Before that, there was Jimmy Carter, who was a disaster. And the economy wasn't so bad when LBJ was President and had a Democratic Congress. What will be the effect of Democratic policies?

6. I will be praying for President-elect Obama, that he won't be assassinated. I talked with someone who worked on a secret service agent's home, and the agent said they're planning to increase Obama's protection because there are kooky elements out there. I want Obama to have his chance to lead. Plus, I'd feel really badly for his family if something happened to him.

7. I'll also be praying that Obama will have wisdom. His lack of experience still bothers me. He's only been in the Senate for four years! He's untested. That may be why it's good he has Joe Biden by his side, as much as I disagree with him. At the same time, surrounding himself with establishment politicians and bureaucrats contradicts his agenda of change, but I guess that's a dilemma any President faces: he wants experienced people, and experienced people are in the political establishment.

8. Conservatives wondering what to do: hang close to Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity. I became a Rush-devotee, or "dittohead," after Bill Clinton won in 1992. It will give you a chance to laugh at the Democrats, and it will be a friendly place for you as you endure the mockery of liberal friends, family, and coworkers. Plus, it's fun being a critic! That's one thing I thought I'd miss out on when the Republicans won in 1994 and 2000.

9. I can't for the life of me find the results of certain races. Did Al Franken win in Minnesota? Did the gay marriage ban pass in California?

10. Indiana went blue. That's pretty sad! Now, I can't boast about being from red-state Indiana, or tell my liberal colleagues, "You have to see where I'm coming from--I'm from red state Indiana."

Search This Blog