Saturday, November 17, 2007

The Encouragement of the Scriptures

In both the Torah and the Book of Joshua, there's a story about Reuben, Gad, and the half tribe of Manasseh. These two-and-a-half tribes really liked the Transjordan, and they wanted their inheritance to be in that area rather than in Canaan. Moses replied that this was fine, as long as they helped the other tribes in their conquest of the Promised Land.

Origen saw this whole episode allegorically. He notes that Reuben, Gad, and Manasseh are all firstborn sons (albeit of different mothers), and he also observes that they received their inheritance under Moses. Consequently, Origen concludes these these two-and-a-half tribes represent the Old Testament saints, who (like firstborn sons) preceded New Testament Christians and were justified through their obedience to the Mosaic law. For Origen, the rest of the tribes symbolize Christians, who receive their inheritance through Jesus, the Greek word for Joshua. According to Origen, the Old Testament saints assist Christians in their struggle to overcome sin and live righteous lives.

How do they do this? Through the encouragement of the Scriptures. Origen gives some specifics:

"Consider how those who were justified by the Law before the coming of Jesus Christ my Lord come to my aid as I struggle today in the trials of this life and strive against enemies--that is, against contrary authorities. Consider how Isaiah furnishes me aid when he illumines me with the words of his text. Consider Jeremiah coming to our aid, well-girded and unencumbered, putting to flight the most violent enemies, the gloom of my heart, with the javelins of his volume. Also Daniel is well-armed for our aid, instructing and forewarning us about the presence and reign of Christ, and about the future deceit of the Antichrist. Ezekiel is present, signifying to us the heavenly mysteries in fourfold circles of wheels and 'a wheel confined in a wheel.' Hosea leads twelve squandrons of a prophetic band, and all advance with 'their loins girded with truth,' which they proclaim to aid their brothers so that, instructed by their writings, we may not be ignorant of devilish designs" (Homily 3 in Homilies on Joshua).

Origen sounds a lot like Joel Osteen and other evangelicals in his description of spiritual warfare. For him, life has a lot of trials, and Christians need all the encouragement they can get as they battle inner depression. They get this encouragement through the Old Testament.

I identify with what Origen is saying. When I was at DePauw University (my undergraduate institution), I wrestled with my usual problems of shyness, insecurity, alienation, depression, and resentment. One Friday night, I felt led to read the Book of Jeremiah, so I grabbed my Bible and a notebook and headed to the school library. I reserved my own room so that I could have some personal time with the Lord, and I started to read the Book of Jeremiah. After a few chapters, I would write down a summary of what I had read, allowing the details to settle more firmly in my mind.

Jeremiah really helped me. Here was a person who felt inadequate, insecure, timid, lonely, tired, and resentful. God had to assure Jeremiah repeatedly that he was with him and was working his situation out for good, despite the persecution that Jeremiah was receiving (even from his own family). The Book was an encouragement to me because Jeremiah faced problems, was honest about them, and got help from a sovereign and loving God.

But Origen presents another way that the Scriptures can encourage: we can forget our problems by focusing more on God's glory, which includes the reign of Christ and the splendor of God's heavenly realm. Add to this God's character of love and goodness. God is bigger than us and our problems. I think that God showed Ezekiel his heavenly chariot to give him courage for the days ahead. Like Jeremiah, Ezekiel was about to face a lot of persecution, and he needed to know in his mind who was really in charge.

I have one problem with Origen's interpretation, however: I am not fully convinced that the Old Testament saints were justified through their obedience to the law. Sure, there are passages that Origen can cite to support this position. II Kings 23:25 says, for instance, that Josiah obeyed the Law of Moses with his whole heart and soul. At the same time, the New Testament presents justification by the law as an impossibility. Paul says in Acts 13:39, "And by [Jesus] all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses." Peter rhetorically asks in Acts 15:10, "Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?" I'm not sure how to reconcile these two concepts, but I do know that the Old Testament has encouraged me, as Origen asserts. On some level, the grace that God showed to the Old Testament saints has helped me throughout my Christian life.

Search This Blog