Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Cincinnati Election Day 2007

Today was Election Day in Cincinnati, when local residents voted on the city council, judges, the school board, and various referenda. I feel that it is always election time in Cincinnati, since I see people holding up signs on the streets throughout the year.

As far as the city council was concerned, I voted for the Republicans, but I had to do some research to find out who they actually were. The school board election was not much of a choice, since three of the four candidates were endorsed by the Democratic Party. Lest people accuse me of being unthinkingly partisan, I want to point out that I voted against the Republican-backed referenda.

On virtually every Cincinnati ballot that I have seen, there are proposals for a new tax levy. Today, we voted on levies for public schools, jails, mental health facilities, and nursing homes. I'm all for these things, but I always wonder if there is fat and bureaucracy that can be cut out before we talk about imposing new taxes. I particularly get agitated about the education issue. When I was growing up, teachers were practically the elite. They lived in nice homes and drove nice cars, so I've always had problems with the argument that teachers are underpaid. Moreover, many superintendents make six-figure salaries. Taxpayers are continually told to show community spirit by supporting increased funding for education. Is it too much to ask that public school professionals do the same by tightening their own financial belts?

When I was riding in a cab today, my cab driver resonated with me on these sorts of issues. "We're already overtaxed!" he exclaimed. At the same time, he didn't like the fact that the city council voted to shut down cheap medical clinics, which helped the poor buy medicine at a reduced price. I'm not sure if the government finances these clinics or voted to close them down for another reason. I do know that something needs to be done about health care, but I'm against a gigantic federal bureaucracy. I prefer for solutions to come from those closest to the people, preferably at the local level. So maybe I agree with having those sorts of clinics, though I hope that everything is done in a cost-effective manner (but not necessarily as HMOs do things).

Another issue on the ballot concerned sexually-oriented businesses. The proposal would have significantly cracked down on dance clubs and adult stores. I voted "yes," and I'm sure that there are people who will call me a hypocrite or an inconsistent libertarian. I just think that communities should be able to set certain moral standards and define the kind of community that they will be.

I almost wasn't going to vote today, but the whole election fervor got to me. Cincinnati can do that to you.

Search This Blog