Friday, May 23, 2014

Elliptical Ramblings on the Fruit of the Spirit

My church did not have its Bible study last night because the pastor was at his granddaughter’s birthday party.

So what should I write about today?  I was visiting a Christian blog.  The blog post that I was reading linked to another blog post on that blog that interested me, so I clicked on that.  And that blog post linked to other blog posts that interested me, and I clicked on those.  I was enjoying what I was reading, since the posts made sense, plus the author had a wry sense of humor.  But eventually I came across a post that hit a little too close to home, so I stopped reading.  I had my fill.  Or so I thought.  My curiosity was still there, so I visited that very post again later that day and clicked on some of its links.  Those posts offered more hope, but they still reinforced my bad mood.

I am at the point where I prefer to pray for the fruit of the Spirit (i.e., love, joy, peace, etc.) rather than beating myself up for not producing enough of this fruit, or for not producing it perfectly.  At least when I pray for the fruit of the Spirit, my thoughts are positive! Beating myself up is not exactly consistent with love, joy, peace, patience, etc.

I am also not interested in other people’s opinions about whether I am producing the fruit of the Spirit, for other people are not in any position to judge.  They neither see how bad I am on the inside, nor do they see how good I am.  And I am a mix, as are most people, including those who like to sit in judgment of others!  Who is another human being to pronounce a verdict on my character?  My spiritual fruit is between me and God, not me, God, and holier-than-thou busybodies.

I know that this post is rather elliptical.  I don’t care.  I wasn’t in the mood to write a blog post today, anyway.  But I have committed myself to writing a blog post everyday, and I stick with my commitments.

Search This Blog