Sunday, December 29, 2013

Praying Before Entering a Situation

At church this morning, the pastor emeritus was talking about praying before entering a situation, and knowing that God is with us through it.

I am believing in that more nowadays than I have in the past.  Maybe that’s because I am not in stressful social or academic settings as much nowadays.  In the past, I would pray at the beginning of the day, and the day would still turn out pretty badly.  But I am finding that, at least currently, praying does put my mind into a more positive state.  That is helpful in a time when my main enemy is myself and my own resentments, my disappointments, and my fears.

A wise lady said something years ago that has popped into my mind more than once in recent days.  She said that one way she copes with the day is by resolving at the beginning of each day that a certain situation will not get her down.  That allows her to feel more empowered.  I think that sort of approach can help me, in that I can resolve to be prepared for whatever situation I may face, rather than allowing it to take me by surprise.  The thing is, though, we can’t be prepared for everything that we will encounter each day.  But that’s why retrospective prayer and reflection can be important.

Search This Blog