Friday, April 12, 2013

When to Stay, and When to Quit (BTW----Don't Read Too Much Into This Post!)

When should you stick with something, and when should you quit?  I don't think that there's always a right or a wrong answer on what you should do and when.  There are positives and there are negatives, and you get to decide where you proceed in light of that.

I'm sort of an all-or-nothing sort of person, who feels that I have to stick with everything to which I commit.  After all, I reason to myself, if I could not stick with one thing, how do I know that I'll stick with something else?  When should I feel free to call it quits?  If I get offended, should I quit?

The fact is, though, that there are plenty of people who quit something and then move on to stick with something else for a very long period of time.  This applies to jobs, relationships, classes, church, and the list goes on.  You have to decide if something is worth enduring.  No situation is absolutely perfect, but there are plenty of imperfect situations that are worth the effort.

Sometimes, you may feel that you have to stay, even if you don't like the situation.  If you're working at a job that you hate but you'd have no other means of financial support were you to leave the job, many of you would probably choose to stick with the job.  If you're married and have kids, you hate your marriage, and yet you feel that your kids need two parents, some of you would probably stick with the marriage.

I don't want to be the sort of person who quits something every time that I get offended.  But I also don't want to be the sort of person who sticks with unhealthy situations.  The middle ground requires decision-making, and accepting the consequences of that decision, positive and negative.

Search This Blog