Sunday, June 10, 2012

Rick Perry's Fed Up 5

I'm continuing my way through Rick Perry's Fed Up! Our Fight to Save America from Washington.  In my latest reading, Perry criticizes President Barack Obama's defense and counter-intelligence policies.  I really don't know enough about President Obama's policies on this to critique what Perry is saying.  But I'll make the following points, based on my hunches:

1.  I think that a missile-defense system is a good idea, for that's a matter of protection.

2.  I'm not sure if we need a bunch of planes and nuclear weapons these days to keep the peace.  Maybe it's a good idea to prepare for the possibility of war and to have the sufficient equipment to fight if we need to.  But I doubt that we need a huge number of planes and nukes in this post-Cold War era.  I'm not sure from my reading to what extent Perry would agree with me on this, but I think that my point is relevant to a discussion of what the U.S. defense budget should be.

3.  Perry makes it look like Obama is leaving us vulnerable to attack.  But Democrats have made the same sorts of arguments about Republican administrations.  John Kerry, for example, criticized President George W. Bush's failure to do a whole lot on nuclear proliferation.

Search This Blog