Thursday, March 1, 2012

For Women's History Month: Backlash, by Susan Faludi

March is Women's History Month! And, for Women's History Month of 2012, I'll be reading and blogging through Susan Faludi's 1991 book, Backlash: The Undeclared War Against American Women.

I read bits of pieces of this book even when I was more of a conservative, for I wanted to see how Faludi treated conservative heroes of mine, such as Phyllis Schlafly, Beverly LaHaye, George Gilder, and Connie Marshner, as well as conservative icons who somewhat scare me, such as Randall Terry. But, at the time, I did not care to focus on Faludi's overall argument, for I was not interested in feminism, nor did I really want to become a feminist. Now that I try to be a person who sees different perspectives rather than making sure all of reality conforms to a right-wing ideology, I'll read this book to understand where Faludi is coming from. But I'll certainly enjoy her discussions about conservative icons!

I used to stereotype Faludi as just another man-hating feminist. Then, when I was at Harvard's Hilles library and was taking my study breaks, I read pieces of Faludi's book, Stiffed: The Betrayal of the American Man. I could tell that she was a feminist who indeed cared about women's issues, but also the struggles of American males.

I may write about Backlash on every single day of March 2012. Or perhaps I will finish it before March ends, which means that I'll have to find items for the remaining days of Women's History Month. Maybe I'll read and blog about some Phyllis Schlafly or Connie Marshner articles. We'll see!

Search This Blog