Thursday, August 19, 2010

Beggars

I’m continuing my way through Burton Visotzky’s Golden Bells and Pomegranates. The topic that I encountered today was Leviticus Rabbah’s view on poverty. Apparently, even people in the fifth century C.E. told poor beggars to “Get a job”, an attitude that Leviticus Rabbah criticizes. And yet, Leviticus Rabbah acknowledges the existence of “con-men among the poor”. It’s because of them that we don’t merit death anytime we turn away a beggar! Rabbi Abbahu said that we actually owe the con-men thanks for that!

What’s interesting is that one tradition in Leviticus Rabbah views a bad person falling into poverty to be among the “unworthy poor”. For example, Rabbi Yosi’s abusive ex-wife fell into poverty, and Rabbi Yosi helped her even though he wasn’t obligated to do so under Jewish law. He was commended for going above and beyond the Torah.

I dislike having a judgmental attitude about the poor. I’m not likely to tell a homeless person to “get a job” because (1.) it’s hard in our current economy, and (2.) it’s difficult for a person to get a job when he’s slept in the same clothes for a week and hasn’t had a bath.

But there are plenty of hustlers out there who make a living off of, well, hustling people.

I don’t give to beggars much now because I don’t have much money. Plus, I don’t like to be bothered. When I have money, I’d rather give my money to a charity rather than to someone on the streets.

I have given beggars food before. Some appreciate it. Some don’t, which shows what they’re really after.

Search This Blog