Sunday, March 29, 2009

Person with Asperger's Seeks Spiritual Home

I need some help from my readers!

Recently, a person with Asperger's named Anthony commented on my post, "Asperger's and Religion". He said that he's dabbled in Kabbalah but left that because he lost the red string. (I'm don't know what that means, but my exposure to Kabbalah has been rather limited.) He also remarked that he can't go into Buddhism, though he didn't specify why.

What really caught my eye was when he said that he feels like an outsider and asked if he should just accept that reality and make the most out of Christianity.

I feel that way a lot of times. As my readers know, there are many aspects of evangelical Christianity that do not appeal to me (e.g., hell, exclusivism, having to be a happy, happy social extrovert, etc.). But I stick with it because I see some beauty in it and I have an attitude like Jacob in the Bible: I won't let go of God until he blesses me. Still, I'm curious about what's on the other side of the fence, and that's why I've been studying other religions (e.g., Judaism, Islam, eventually Buddhism and Hinduism, etc.).

How would you respond to a searcher like Anthony? Have you found a spiritual or ideological home in which you are comfortable? If so, how?

Anyone of any ideological stripe can offer his or her two-cents. In my opinion, what's beautiful about these kinds of posts (in which I ask for help) is that good advice comes from a variety of worldviews.

Just a few rules, though: No feuding. No putting each other down. Actually, it might be best if you don't address one another and just offer your opinion or advice.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Search This Blog