Friday, March 31, 2017

Church Write-Up: We Are Privileged to Pray

At church last Sunday, the pastor continued his series on prayer.  His Scriptural text was Jesus’ parable about the persistent widow (Luke 18:1-8), who continually pleaded with the unjust judge until he granted her what she needed.

The pastor told some funny stories about his struggles with modern technology and bad service at restaurants.  I usually don’t hear these kinds of stories when I watch his sermons on the Internet.  The live stream service is the 11:30 service, and the service that is put on the Internet is the 7:30 service.  The service that I attend, which is closer to where I live, is the 10:00.

The pastor was effectively conveying how privileged we are to pray.  We cannot just walk into the Oval Office to see the President of the United States.  But we can talk to God anytime, and God is above all Presidents.

The pastor also said that God is the only one who can give us what we need.  God can touch our heart, and the hearts of those for whom we pray.  I can identify with this.  I am all for taking medication for depression and talking with an understanding friend.  But there are times when other people cannot make us feel better.  At those times, I know that I need God to touch my heart.

Search This Blog