Sunday, January 13, 2013

New Perspective

At church this morning, the pastor told a story about a man whose mother had Alzheimer's.  The man came to accept his mother's condition.  Even though he was upset that she did not remember him, he realized that his mother also did not remember the people who hurt her.  And, while the mother complained about imaginary people, the man reflected that at least his mother was not lonely, since she had imaginary friends.  The man also tried to listen to his mother and to meet her needs.

I don't know what it would be like were my Mom not to remember me.  I would probably feel really bad about that.  From my standpoint, I cannot recommend to people who experience this situation what they should do or think.  People have to find their own way.  But I still liked my pastor's story because it highlighted the change that can come over a person once he or she gains a new perspective and becomes reconciled with realities of life.

Search This Blog