Sunday, September 23, 2012

Service

At church this morning, the pastor talked about service.  Jesus' disciples debated amongst themselves about who was the greatest, but Jesus taught them that the greatest is the one who serves.

It's a basic of Christianity.  And yet, I need to be reminded of it over and over, and over.  My attitude is often "What's in it for me?", or I resent when things don't go my way.  But Jesus exhorts me to serve. 

My pastor said that we should do things for other people.  There is a sense in which that's easier said than done.  Not everyone in the world wants my help.  In some cases, someone else may be better equipped to do something than I am.  But, in my opinion, service can be an attitude, not always a grand project.  It can include me clicking "like" on something that someone writes to show my support.  It can entail me opening doors for people.  At meal times, I can offer to bring people something if they need it.  The idea is for me to think of someone outside of myself, more often than I do.

But does that mean that I should excuse myself from grand projects?  You know, I'm not going to beat myself up for not doing them, but maybe there are times for me to rise up to the challenge.  If the church needs help with some project, for example, what would be wrong with me volunteering?  It's something for me to keep somewhere in my mind.

Search This Blog