Sunday, August 26, 2012

Calling You

At church this morning, we sang the hymn "Calling You", which was written by Hank Williams.  Click here to read the lyrics, and here to listen to the song.

The first verse especially stood out to me: "When you've strayed from the fold and there's trouble in your soul, can't you hear the blessed Saviour calling you? When your soul is lost in sin and you're at your journey's end, can't you hear the blessed Saviour calling you?"

This verse reminded me of a question that I have asked myself more than once: If found myself in a situation in which I'd want to get my life on track, would I go to evangelical Christianity for solutions?  I'd be very hesitant to do so, to tell you the truth, on account of the baggage that has accompanied evangelical Christianity in my own experience.  I do think it's beautiful, though, when people reconnect with their religion.  I know a couple of people who have decided to return to church after years of not going, and that's cool, in my opinion.  But enough things have convinced me that, in terms of me personally, evangelical Christianity is not an end-all-be-all solution.  Maybe others can make it work for them, so that it can give them joy and meaning and help them to live a moral, giving life.  But trying to fit into the evangelical mold has never been fruitful for me.  On the contrary, it's been rather toxic.

I still like going to church, though, because the people are nice, the services are relaxing, and it provides me with an opportunity to reflect on big issues.

Search This Blog