Monday, May 28, 2012

Rick Santorum's It Takes a Family 7

In my latest reading of Rick Santorum's It Takes a Family: Conservatism and the Public Good, I liked Santorum's discussion of Tommy D's Home Improvement Centers, one of which is in West Philadelphia, which is the inner-city.  (Remember Will Smith on the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air: "In West Philadelphia I was born and raised, on a playground where I spent most of my days...")

Tom Delany, who built the business, reports that "In our stores, 90 percent of the workforce can walk to work, and probably 60 percent do just that."  This business employs people in the inner-city.  And the business takes care of its employees, not just the owner.  The employees receive good benefits, and there are monthly bonuses.  And the business participates in a program that advises employees and their families who want expert counsel regarding finances, child care, and other issues.  Moreover, Tom employs a number of people who have been to jail, people who really want to work.  The recidivism rate among these employees is very low.

I admire Tom Delany for giving people a chance and for treating his employees well.

Search This Blog