Sunday, October 16, 2011

Witnessing, Education, and Faith

At church this morning, the theme was witnessing. The pastor observed that Jesus did not pick the educated theologians of his day, the Pharisees and the Sadducees, but rather he selected the less educated for the task of preaching the Gospel. He said this was probably because professionals tend to complicate issues, and Jesus wanted people who could communicate the message in its simplicity. But the pastor still acknowledged that there was a place for advanced theological discussion.

The pastor also said that, while it may be easier for us to witness to strangers, what happened often in the New Testament was that Christians witnessed to those closest to them, their families.

I both agree and disagree with the pastor’s first point. Jesus selected Paul, who was a Pharisee, and Paul’s education may have assisted him in debates in synagogues. I think that, similarly, education (or at least being well-read) can help Christians to impress others in online debates with atheists. At the same time, Paul himself did not always find his education to be useful, for much of his audience on Mars’ Hill still thought that he wasn’t all that sophisticated, and Paul told the Corinthians that he did not come to them with fancy words, but with the power of God. In many cases, arguments do not win people to the faith, for debates can become matters of pride and holding one’s own. But non-believers have become Christians as they have observed the peace, the joy, or the love believers have (or people have lost faith or been discouraged from it by the opposite).

That’s my assessment based on the Bible. Now I’ll say what I really think. In my opinion, education does not “complicate” issues, but it allows people to see that issues indeed are complicated. I personally do not “witness” in the usual evangelical sense of the word—as if I have to be selling people on some script. What I do, however, is share with people my journey, as I seek hope, love for others, wisdom, insight, etc. I do not insist that people agree with me, for people are on their own journeys. I will say this, though: I do side with certain movements over others. My pastor presented witnessing as communicating the simple message that Jesus loves us and controls the future. I prefer that to Mark Driscoll’s “God hates some of you” message (see here), which he proclaimed as he bashed the educated. I recognize that Driscoll’s message has a larger context that acknowledges God’s love, but it still strikes me as a good example of the manipulation in which some evangelical leaders engage. The way to control people is to induce guilt, and some leaders do that to a T.

I guess that my point in all of these meanderings is that I like depth and nuance, but I’m also open to simplicity, as long as the simple message is positive and uplifting rather than abusive.

On the second point, witnessing to one’s family, I can’t say that I do that. Why should I put myself on some spiritual hill-top, as if I—one who is spiritually green-in-the-ears—can instruct people who have things to teach me, about coping with life, about spirituality, about people and things to admire, etc.? In addition, witnessing to one’s family is not necessarily easy. My family knows the real me, the James behind the mask, the James who can be impatient and sulking. At the same time, I hope that my family can see that I am on a spiritual journey, as I go to church, as I blog, and as I try (often unsuccessfully) to live with love and peace in my day-to-day life, and that this encourages them on their own journeys.

Search This Blog