Friday, August 20, 2010

Oh Brother...

I’m tired right now, so I’m not going to write about Leviticus Rabbah at the moment. Rather, I’m going to create an “Oh Brother” post!

In an online forum, I’ve been discussing the so-called “Ground Zero mosque”. Here are some gems from the Christian opponents of Islam, along with my reaction:

1. Unfortunately, I can’t find the first quote that got me riled up. Basically, I was discussing Islam with a group of Christians, and I remarked that some Christian critics of Islam are displaying the very attributes that they ascribe to Muslims: intolerance, an “us vs. them” mentality, etc. Even before I even made that statement, some people in the forum were referring to “militant Christianity”.

A woman then responded that the fact that the topic of conversation changed to “militant Christianity” only shows how uncomfortable we are discussing the true agenda of Islam.

First of all, I have problems with “we” statements. People use them to be diplomatic, since saying that “we” have a problem is less accusatory than saying that “you” have a problem. But I don’t appreciate this woman claiming to speak for me.

Second, “militant Christianity” is relevant to the issue of Islam and Islamophobia. How can one claim that it’s not? There are Christians who aren’t loving Muslims, and this is occurring under the banner of Christ. They are showing intolerance and suspicion of the other. I consider that a problem.

Third, I’m not uncomfortable discussing the “true agenda of Islam”—as if such a thing even exists, with Islam being the diverse religion that it is. This lady seems to assume that we all agree with her on the “true agenda of Islam”, when that was precisely what we were debating. Or, actually, she’s being like many evangelicals: she thinks that even those who disagree with her agree with her deep down in their hearts, but they’re suppressing the truth in unrighteousness.

2. Another gem: “People are so uninformed about the goal of Islam! Pray like never before!”

Look, I don’t mind if this lady has views about Islam (as if she needs my permission). But for her to act like God agrees with her on this? That’s pretty presumptuous! Why should I assume that God is supporting an intolerant mob that is stereotyping Muslims and treating them in a less-than-loving fashion?

It’s one thing to pray for people to encounter the love of God through Jesus Christ. That may strike many non-Christians as exclusivist and condescending, but I can see love in that. But to pray against Muslims, or President Obama? That assumes that God holds to a particular political agenda, and I’m not convinced that he does (or, at least, I’m not convinced that God is right-wing). These are reasons that I have difficulty calling Christians “my people”. I should remember, however, that Christianity, like Islam, is a diverse religion, and that it does have tolerant voices.

Search This Blog