Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Too Heavy a Burden

Today, I read the assigned parts of Michael Fishbane’s Garments of Torah. The following is on page 24:

On the basis of Job’s rebuttal of Eliphaz’s claim (in 15:4) that his condition weakens other men’s faith, the passage is now construed to yield the theological assertion that God…gives strength…to the righteous in order “that they may do His will.”

I checked out Job 15:4, which has been translated in a variety of ways. The KJV says that Job casts off fear, and restrains prayer before God. I understand this to mean that Job himself (according to Eliphaz) isn’t fearing God enough, and isn’t praying. But the NRSV says that Job is doing away with the fear of God, and hindering meditation. I can understand why one would conclude that this means Job is hindering the faith of others.

But Job was expressing how he feels. He wasn’t a plastic Christian. Why should he have to pretend that he thinks things are all right, when he really doesn’t believe that?

I’ve been reading Adam McHugh’s Introverts in the Church, which is an excellent book. But the following passage on page 184 made me go, “Oh brother…”:

Sometimes unbelievers will come at us with a hostile posture and ask us an accusatory question, like “How could you possibly believe in a God who would condemn people to hell?” If we accept the premise that God is a villain, we are put in a defensive stance and we let the other person control the conversation. Instead, rephrase the question. For example, you could respond, “Perhaps the real question is how could humans rebel against a God who created such a beautiful world?”

But I think the unbeliever is raising a good question! It shouldn’t be blown off with the evangelical tactic of making the questioner feel guilty (as if evangelicals even succeed at this, try as they might).

One reason I dislike witnessing is that I feel as if I have to defend things that I don’t want to defend. Overall, McHugh shies away from the approach of coming up with good (Ha!) responses to the questions that unbelievers ask, as he presents evangelism as two people exploring a mystery together. Yet, unfortunately, in the above passage, he chooses to lean on an evangelical platitude as if it’s an example of good evangelism.

I’m also tired of feeling as if I’m responsible for the belief and unbelief of other people. Sheesh, I have enough of a problem taking care of myself!

Search This Blog