Friday, March 26, 2010

I’m Flirting with Trying Out a New Church (But One Many of My Readers Won’t Like)

I’m thinking of trying out a new church this coming Sunday. At Latin mass last year, I felt slightly awkward walking around with people carrying a palm branch on Palm Sunday, so I kind of want to dodge that this year.

I’m thinking of trying out my local Unitarian-Universalist church, St. John’s, which is within walking distance from me. See St. John’s Unitarian Church for information.

Here are some things that I read on its web site that I liked:

1. The sermon this coming Sunday is on giving. The description states: What does giving mean? What is support of St John’s all about? How does each of us know how to set the amount we give? I’ll tell you what I think.

I’ve often wondered about this issue. How much does God want me to give? To be honest, Christians are not very helpful on this issue. I’ve heard some Christians say, “In the Old Testament, God wanted people to give ten per cent, but, under the New Covenant, he desires 100 per cent.” I have no idea what this means. I doubt they’re suggesting that we should give 100 per cent of our incomes, for they themselves don’t do that. Even if they’re talking about us giving our lives to God, what exactly does that mean? That we should do religious stuff or think about God 24-7? I feel as if all I hear from a lot of Christians are cliches, not solid, practical advice. So I’m interested in hearing what a UU pastor has to say.

And don’t worry, family and friends! Unitarian-Universalists are not cultish. I won’t be asked to sign over my bank account!

2. I looked at some of the sermons in the archives and they appear to be thoughtful and learned. Also, I’m glad that the archives are a little dated: the last sermon there is from August 2009. I won’t go to a church if I can read or listen to its sermons online. What’s the point of going if I can do that?

3. I like the section of their web page entitled “What to expect.” I appreciate being told what I should expect! It makes me feel comfortable! Here are some quotes that I like from that particular section, along with my comments:

Community Services are held on Sunday at 11 a.m. and typically last until 12:15 p.m.

I like being told when the service will end!

What should I wear? Dress is casual. Wear what is comfortable for you. Some people dress more formally and that’s fine too.

I’ll probably wear a nice shirt and khaki pants. But I like doing what’s comfortable for me. And it will be nice if some people are dressing more formally, since that will add a measure of dignity to the service. I’m not for making people feel guilty for failure to wear a suit and (choke) a tie, but I also thought that the attire of people at a Vineyard church that I once visited went a little too far: leaders of that church were wearing spandex!

What can I expect at your services? A typical Community Service includes thoughtful readings, musical performances, singing together, and a sermon by our minister.

I like that. Thoughtful readings about living life spiritually. But I’m not sure what to expect in terms of the music and singing together. I hope that there’s something about God in that. I visited a few UU services at Harvard, and there were theistic elements in some of the songs. I also enjoyed a little Hasidic melody being thrown into one of the services. But I’m not eager to sing about how we’re all one people, or one stream, or one-whatever, or how we depend on the earth. And no Kum-Bay-Yah!

Will someone try to “sell me” on your church? No. You will find friendly greeters willing to answer any of your questions. I’m not sure I believe in God; is that OK? Yes, our members search for truth on many spiritual paths.

I like these parts the most: no shoving stuff down your throat, or church members eager to ramrod their conception of “the truth.” I can just go there, enjoy the service, shake hands with a few people, and leave.

I’m gay/lesbian, will I be comfortable? Yes, comfortable and welcome.

I’m not gay myself, but I like the concept of not only feeling comfortable at a service, but welcome, as in wanted. I hope I’m not asked to stand and introduce myself to the congregation, for I don’t want any spotlight. I’d prefer to shake hands with the greeters, and maybe the people sitting close to me, perhaps even the pastor as I leave.

Can I be involved in activities if I’m not a member? Membership isn’t required for many activities: Adult Religious Education and music, social action, and just plain socializing are open to all. Spiritual seekers may also be attracted to Meditation, EarthSpirit, or Small Group Ministries.

I appreciate the sense of inclusion and welcome here. Also, I wonder what a UU small group would be like.

4. I’m sure that this church will be liberal—politically and religiously. But, as I looked at some of the mainline Protestant churches, they looked not only liberal, but liberal and flaky! A Presbyterian minister said that we’re in the womb of God. A United Church of Christ site took stances on political issues. There are UUs who are like this, but St. John’s web site appears rather level-headed. One of the sermons I read summarized a conservative and a liberal position, and said why it favored the liberal view. I like the approach of thinking through issues.

I’ll see what I do this coming Sunday! There’s a chance that I’ll stick with what’s familiar to me and go to the Latin mass.

Search This Blog