Thursday, July 17, 2008

Lost and Star Trek: Voyager

So far, what I like about Lost is the same thing that I like about Star Trek: Voyager: most of the episodes concentrate on one specific character at a time, and that allows me to get to know each one of them.

When I first saw Star Trek: Voyager, my initial thought was, "Who are these people? And how many Star Treks do we need?" But I soon started to warm up to all of the characters. A lot of the episodes concentrated on one specific character at a time, in the sense that they focused on his or her struggles with a particular issue. But there were some episodes that were more flashback-oriented: we got to see things from Chakotay's or Tuvok's or Torres' past. And that really bonded me to the characters. I was no longer watching a bunch of weirdos on just another Star Trek. I was sharing the experiences of friends.

That seems to be how Lost is: there are a lot of flashbacks. Wikipedia actually specifies whom each episode is about (see List of Lost episodes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). I can tell that Sawyer is a jerk, but his flashbacks allow me to see how he became a jerk. And that's the way it is with a lot of the characters. So far, I've watched the first eight episodes, so I've seen some of the background of Kate, Jack, Sawyer, Locke, and the Korean couple.

I hope to check out some more Season 1 DVDs tomorrow, if I can make it to the library. Sayid's story is coming up, and I'm interesting in learning about this Iraqi torturer with a calm demeanor. I mean, he looks like someone I'd be friends with, and I dislike Saddam Hussein. Also, I see from wikipedia that Season 1 has an episode about the really big guy, and I'd like to get to know him better.

Search This Blog