Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Rudy Giuliani

Our featured Presidential candidate for today is Republican Mayor Rudy Giuliani.

I'm not sure where I first heard of Giuliani. Could it be the Seinfeld episode where Giuliani ate the "low-fat" yogurt? Who knows? I did learn a lot about him from two sources. One was an article in the Sunday Indianapolis Star, which appeared right as he was about to leave office. The other was a movie called Rudy, which starred James Woods as the controversial mayor. I saw a poster for it on the New York subway that said it all: "He divided a city; he united a nation."

I've always admired Rudy's ability to get things done. I remember James Woods talking with Penelope Ann Miller in the movie, and the scene was Rudy's first date with a reporter (Donna Hanover), who became his second wife (number 2 of 3). Rudy said that he used to be a Democrat, but he switched to the Republicans. Donna asked, "Why did you change?" Rudy replied, "Democrats only talk about getting things done; Republicans actually get things done."

That's not exactly why I'm a Republican. I'm a Republican because I agree with many of the party's ideas. And, to be honest, I wish that Republicans were better at sticking to those ideas, let alone getting things done. But Rudy was an effective mayor. He helped bring down the crime rate in NEW YORK CITY, where people once feared to walk the streets. I lived in the city during the Bloomberg years, and I felt safe most of the time. When I later saw it depicted in the 1974 movie, Death Wish (with Charles Bronson), I did not recognize it. I mean, the city on the movie had a criminal around every corner. That was not the city I called home from 2002-2004. I wonder if Giuliani had something to do with that.

As we learned from last night's spat between Rudy and Romney, Giuliani lowered taxes and restrained government spending. Again, this was in NEW YORK CITY, a predominantly liberal area. I wonder how he'd do with the Democratic Congress! He also made the city cleaner, showing his love for it. When I lived in post-Giuliani New York, I did not see much litter. And Giuliani got things done before he became mayor, for he put the mob behind bars when he was a prosecutor. Time magazine called that act the "Case of Cases," possibly "the most significant assault on the infrastructure of organized crime since the high command of the Chicago Mafia was swept away in 1943."

I like Giuliani's record as one who divided the city. As far as his role on 9/11 goes, I don't see what the big deal is. So he was mayor when 9/11 happened. So what? Seriously, what are we supposed to admire? As many of you know, there's been a lot of criticism of his performance on 9/11, especially by New York City firefighters. Maybe Giuliani deserves praise because he kept his cool and got the city moving rather than reading My Pet Goat. But I'm glad that (at least recently) he has focused more on his record as mayor rather than what he did on 9/11.

Regarding his stand on abortion, I'm perplexed about what to do. Should I vote for the pro-life third party that Dr. Dobson is discussing? Or should I vote for Rudy in the general election, since at least he is better than Hillary, and half a loaf is preferable to nothing? I'm distressed that a pro-choice Republican is being promoted as a serious contender for the White House, especially after values voters swept Bush back into office in 2004. Karl Rove recognized the value of Christian conservatives because many of them stayed home in the close 2000 election. Maybe they should do the same in 2008. That will teach Republicans not to take them for granted.

His personal life also concerns me. He's on his third marriage, and he cheated on his second wife. He said in one of the debates that his personal life doesn't matter because he got things done. I beg to differ. Sure, reduced taxes and a low crime rate are good things, but America depends on the family for stability. We are crumbling because the family is falling apart, and that costs us in a variety of ways. If Rudy cannot lead by example on such a crucial issue, then can he truly make America a better place? Or will he only slow down America's demise? Pagan Rome had prosperity and a low crime rate, but it eventually fell.

He'll be interesting to watch in a debate with Hillary. Part of me likes his sarcastic, opinionated bluntness. Sure, I'm turned off by it when he bullies Ron Paul, but I'd love to see him use it on Hillary. As Bill Maher said, the Clintons think that anyone who is not in love with them owes them an apology. You've probably heard Michelle Malkin use the term "Clintonian sense of entitlement." Well, that doesn't fly with Rudy. I'll have problems voting for him in the general election, but I'd love to see someone deflate Hillary's ego.

Search This Blog