Monday, June 6, 2011

My Trip to New York City

I went to New York City recently. I lived there for two years, when I was attending Jewish Theological Seminary. But my visit this time was an eye-opening experience! For one, I was shocked by the vast number of people! I took the Amtrak from Albany to New York City. In Albany, the train station is small, and there aren't that many people traveling. And so, once I got out of the train in New York City, I was surprised to be swimming in a sea of people! I felt as if I was in other people's way, or that they were in mine. But, over the course of my day, I noticed something: Although I was hauling around a heavy bag and was sometimes swimming against the pedestrian traffic, I never seemed to be in people's way. My bag did not run over anybody's foot. When I went against traffic, people didn't appear to mind. They must be used to that sort of thing!

Second, after I took my test and returned to the train station, I was expecting the station to be like an airport: Sure, I may arrive early, but I'd know where to go to wait for my train---or at what gate my train would arrive. But it wasn't like that at all. When I asked one of the workers at what gate my train would come, he replied, "Maybe five or six." I was thinking, "You don't know?" But, over time, I noticed that people were standing around looking at a placard, which said at what gate a train would take off, usually fifteen minutes before the train actually did take off! And so I learned the rules of the game. That's why people were continually monitoring the placard!

Third, while I was waiting in the lobby of the station, I noticed a pigeon walking around, and then flying. To me, that pigeon certainly stood out! It would be like seeing a pigeon at an airport! But the New Yorkers didn't appear to care, if they even noticed! This was a surprise to me, probably because I've grown accustomed to pointing out the cute things that the animals (in my case, cats) at my home do, and my Mom and her husband then look at them and laugh. But, at the train station, nobody cared that a pigeon was flying around! It must be a regular occurrence.

There were times when I had a romantic feeling about New York City---especially while I was walking in the morning. I enjoyed seeing all of the small shops, and the hot-dog stands, and scenery, as I sniffed the city air. But my romantic feeling somewhat vanished as I was trying to find my destination by looking at the numbers of the streets, and the numbers vanished into street names! So I took a cab. But I started to feel good again after I finished my test, and I was sitting in the cool train station, sipping on strawberry-flavored water.

I'll be returning to New York City shortly to take another test. Next time, I'll know more what to expect!

Search This Blog