Thursday, June 24, 2010

Lessons from a Spiritual Loser?

Alise has a good post today, Putting my money where my mouth is. She asks near the end of her post: “Do you think you could enjoy a Christian song if you found out that it was written by an atheist?”

To be honest, that would bother me. The same goes for my reaction to Christian artists who get a divorce. For some reason, I think that Christianity should result in changes in a person’s life, produced by the power of God’s Holy Spirit. A true Christian should have a faith that runs so deep, that it makes a person endure a bad marriage, or overcome doubts, or respond kindly in the midst of difficulties.

I tend to divide the world into good people and bad people. Without the right to make such judgments, where would I be? Would I have to hang around with drug-pushers and serial womanizers? I have to draw the line somewhere, don’t I?

But then there’s the question: am I a good person, or a true Christian, or whatever you want to call it? I blow up in some circumstances, even though I’m weak and timid in others. I don’t write Christian music, but I do write a blog. Should I expect that you might have something to learn from me, someone who is so fallible? Can we learn from the spiritual losers in life?

Search This Blog