Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Ed McMahon

I learned today that Ed McMahon has passed away from pneumonia.

I don't know a whole lot about him. He was Johnny Carson's sidekick, and I remember someone portraying him on Saturday Night Live. Dana Carvey was playing Johnny Carson defending O.J. Simpson in court (because Johnny Carson sounds like Johnny Cochran, I guess!), and the guy depicting Ed was continually saying "YESSSS!!!" in an enthusiastic voice.

I admire Ed McMahon for being content to be a sidekick and not the top dog. I read in an article about him today:

McMahon, who never failed to laugh at his Carson's quips, kept his supporting role in perspective. "It's like a pitcher who has a favorite catcher," he said. "The pitcher gets a little help from the catcher, but the pitcher's got to throw the ball. Well, Johnny Carson had to throw the ball, but I could give him a little help."

I also knew McMahon from TV's Bloopers and Practical Jokes, which he hosted with Dick Clark, and from the Publisher's Clearing House sweepstakes. He always came across as a friendly, back-slapping sort of gentleman.

From wikipedia, I learned that he was a fighter pilot in World War II, so he was a part of America's greatest generation!

Rest in peace, Mr. McMahon!

Search This Blog