Friday, February 1, 2008

A Shallow Vision?

As I thought about Joel 3 yesterday, my mind turned to the Deuteronomists' contribution to biblical theology. For those who are wondering who the Deuteronomist is, he is the author of Joshua-II Kings, or at least his influence pervades those books. His belief is that Israel will be blessed if she obeys God, in that she will have prosperity and security from her enemies. If she disobeys, however, then she will be cursed. So the Deuteronomist posits a system of divine reward and punishment.

During my daily quiet time, I was expressing my problems with the Deuteronomic idea of divine retribution. One question with which I wrestled applied both to various prophets' visions of Israel's restoration and also the Deuteronomic motif of reward and punishment. What I asked myself (and God) was this: "Is the Bible's presentation of reward and punishment and Israel's restoration shallow?"

Joel 2-3 discusses Israel's restoration after her repentance. Like the other prophets, Joel forecasts a time of prosperity, peace, and security for Israel. But isn't that rather shallow? Obey God and you will be rich. You won't experience any more problems if you just stick with the divine program. Although I struggle with the New Testament as much as I do the Old, the New Testament seems to have a deeper approach to human suffering. For many New Testament authors, following God does not necessarily lead to prosperity, peace, and security. This is Satan's world, so God's people can expect a lot of persecution. The very founder of Christianity died on a cross, after all! But suffering has its benefits because it builds character. Plus, as far as riches are concerned, they're not all they're cracked up to be. Life does not consist in the abundance of possessions that one owns. A person can be materially rich yet be poor towards God. True riches include love of God and neighbor, since only they can provide genuine satisfaction. That's my overview of New Testament teachings on suffering and wealth.

So, on a certain level, I look at the prophets' visions of eschatological restoration and the Deuteronomic motif of divine retribution, and I ask, "Where's the beef?" So Israel will be rich, safe, and struggle-free once God restores her, or if she obeys God's commandments. Is a life without struggle really worth living? We always hear that money can't buy happiness. So why do the prophets and the Deuteronomist seem to focus so much on the material?

And then there is the impression I get that the prophets' vision of eschatological restoration focuses more on correcting a negative rather than instituting a positive (except for wealth and security, of course). What do I mean by that? Well, the prophets predict a time in which God will end oppression. God will stop Israel's suffering at the hands of foreign powers, and he will cause all oppression within Israel to cease, since he will punish those who hurt society's most vulnerable. There will be no more lying or fraud or adultery, for God will not tolerate sin. In the prophetic visions of eschatological restoration, God will correct negatives.

I guess my problem is that I can picture all of these things happening, and yet they do not completely satisfy me. The question that enters my mind is, "Then what?" Okay, there is no more oppression of the poor. Then what? There is no more lying. Then what? There is no more adultery. Then what? Will God fill the void left by the absence of the negative with something positive?

I admit that my concern here reflects my own personal shallowness. It is hard to pray "Thy kingdom come" when I am satisfied with my life in the here and now, at least materially. I have never been a poor person who's suffered from exploitation at the hands of wicked people. I do not really feel physically unsafe. Even after 9/11, I don't have a great deal of fear about our nation being harmed by foreign forces (but, then again, Hillary isn't President yet). It's just not a problem that I encounter on a day-to-day basis, so I have a hard time stressing out about it. Unlike Israel in the time of the prophets, America is the most dominant nation on the face of the earth, giving it a sense of invulnerability (which is less after 9/11, but still there).

But those who experience these problems would probably respond differently. They would greet the prophets' vision with hope and enthusiasm. For them, it couldn't come to pass fast enough!

But I do have personal concerns. At the present time, I don't struggle with being exploited at the hands of a rich oppressor or a foreign invader. But I do have a lot of fear about the future, as I wonder whether or not I will get and maintain a job (since there are many people with Asperger's who have a hard time finding or keeping employment). And, more importantly, I have a desire to be accepted, which is a struggle for me.

Interestingly, the prophetic vision does address my concerns. How? Well, in God's kingdom, most likely everyone will have a job, perhaps in the area of agriculture. According to Ezekiel, even the non-Israelite resident alien will get a piece of land when Israel is restored (Ezekiel 47:22-23). This differs from the resident alien's status under the Torah, since, under that system, he didn't have any land to farm and was thoroughly dependent on the Israelites who did.

Tasks give life meaning. They provide us with a reason to get out of bed in the morning. Taking time for rest, leisure, worship, and fellowship is also important, but they are so much more enjoyable when they are balanced with hard work. A cycle of work and rest makes for balance and happiness.

As far as my desire for acceptance is concerned, the prophetic vision speaks to that as well. The vast majority of the prophets emphasize that God will dwell in the midst of Israel after her restoration. So, for the prophets, prosperity, health, and security are not enough. Israel needs the personal presence and favor of God. She must have fellowship with the being who cares about her.

I don't entirely know what that will entail. At the present time, my relationship with God doesn't seem to be a two-way street, for it is mostly me talking to God about what I read in his word (along with other topics). Evangelicals tell me that being loved by Jesus should give me a sense of inner peace and satisfaction, but being loved by someone I can't see or hear does not heal my feelings of alienation. But, one day, God will be right there. He will be as real to me as the people whom I can see and hear. And that is something to eagerly anticipate.

Search This Blog